Monday, October 6, 2008

Sweden III

Today it was not raining so I got to do Stockholm properly. The city is divided into several little islands and then a northern and southern mainland area. The main touristy center of town is Gamla Stan, the old city center with the main city square. Gamla Stan reminded me a lot of the Old Town area in Prague: it's got lots of old buildings lining narrow corridors and a few large squares surrounded by museums and palaces (again, I'm not any good at descriptive language so bear with me). Unfortunately, everything is closed on Mondays. Boo... So I spent the morning and most of the afternoon just walking around and taking in the sights. Tomorrow, I'll return to the same area and actually go to the museums, at which point I'll get back to you.

The most notable thing I did today was to make a pilgrimage to Weekdays, which is THE clothing store in Sweden. The thing about Swedish people is that they are all REALLY attractive and they all dress REALLY well. Since I can't do anything about my looks, I figured I could get halfway there by buying some snazzy Swedish clothing. Weekday is famous for their jeans, which come in about 20 different styles and probably 60 different washes. They are all unisex, which took me 30 minutes of nervously perusing the aisles hoping I wasn't looking accidently looking at girls' jeans to figure out. Also, they're all really tight, though the tightness does vary slightly from one style to another. All of the jeans have really long legs, but you can get them tailored over-night for free. Which is exactly what I'm having done to my new pair of Swedish jeans as we speak.

I guess that's all for now. I'm gonna try to go out tonight and hopefully run into those Australian dudes again. Having a free place to stay for the rest of the time I'm here would be wonderful. The hostel is pretty expensive but I'm having a really good time here so as long as I can stay somewhere after tomorrow night, I'll probably stick around in Stockholm for the rest of the week. My current plan is to go to Malmo next in the south of Sweden. I have a friend from 10 years ago at summer camp (who actually remembers me!) with whom I can stay while I visit Copenhagen, which is just across a bridge from Malmo. After that, I plan on heading to Berlin. Ciao!

No comments: